Books are often gateways to make the human mind free and versatile, a good book is like a portal to another realm something that can take you to magic kingdoms and futuristic city view, spooky mansions and uncharted landscapes. Whether you’re interested in fiction or non-fiction, poetry or textbooks, there are a number of techniques you can use to get the most out of your literary experience.
1. Beginning with the Basic Steps.
Pick A Book
When you’re reading for your own pleasure, you will probably want to choose a general interest fiction or non-fiction book. There are basically millions of such books, so finding one that’s right for you can be a hard nut to crack. A perfect place to start is by thinking about what you like, and also about what you dislike. Keep to record how many different types of books are out there. There are fictional books like *To Kill A Mockingbird*. There are fantasy books like *The Lord Of The Rings*. And so many others.
- Knowing your personal interest can really help you find a book you’ll find enjoyable. Just because someone else says a book is healthy doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily enjoy it. Some people enjoy fantasy novels, other people hate them. Think about what kind of an experience you want to have while reading. Do you want a rousing adventure tale? A cerebral exploration of ideas? An emotional journey through the lives of believable characters? How long of a book do you want to read? How challenging do you want it to be? Are there certain perspectives you want your book to embrace or avoid? Answering these questions will narrow down the field of possible books.
- Non-fiction books can be a little easier to narrow down than fiction ones. Most popular nonfiction books are histories or biographies of famous people. Is there a famous person you’d like to know more about? Do you want to know more about a country, a landmark, a war, a historical event? Do you want to know more about oceans, or dinosaurs, or pirates, or stage magic? Pretty much anything you can think of has had a nonfiction book written about it.
- Just because you find a nonfiction book about something that interests you doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll like the book. Some books are well written and interesting, others are poorly written and boring. If you find a nonfiction book about something you like, read the first couple of pages first to see if you like the writer’s style. If you find the book difficult or boring on the first page, it probably won’t get any better as you read through.
- Go to the library. Your local library is a good place to browse books, since if you see one that interests you, you won’t even have to pay anything to read it. Tell the librarian what you’re interested in, and ask him or her to point you to one or two areas of the library where you might find interesting books related to your interests.
- Don’t judge the book by its cover. The title and cover illustrations may seem boring or not your taste, but inside the book could be a whole world of pleasure and enjoyment that you will be enthralled by. This, however, is not always the case, so make sure you pick wisely! Also, look at the thickness of the book. If a quick read is what you’re looking for, a big, heavy book wouldn’t be suitable, and vice versa. Lastly, if you are buying the book for someone other than yourself, think about their age and interests, if you are purchasing for a child, young adult books such as Fifty Shades of Grey may not be the ideal choice.
- Ask those around you. Good friends and close relatives may be able to recommend books to you based on what they enjoyed and thought you would also enjoy. But be careful because some people like to read long stories while others don’t. If you love science for example, search for science books.
- Check online. The Internet is filled with book lovers who are more than happy to share their opinions about various titles. Find a community that discusses books and search for the subjects you like, or just visit online retail sites and browse user reviews of books that look good. Either way is a great method for getting a quick idea of the most popular and best-liked titles in any category of book.
- Make it a group event. Book clubs and readings are both fun ways to expose yourself to new books.
- Many clubs are focused around a particular genre of book, such as science fiction or romance, but some are more general.
- Fiction readings happen regularly at many independent bookstores.
- Nonfiction writers can sometimes be found giving readings or even free guest lectures at nearby colleges. Go and listen to see if their book sounds like something you would like to read, and learn a little about something that interests you at the same time. Some books starts with easily understood explanation so don’t get bored after the first few pages; remember every story has a lesson.
READ ALSO: Top 10 Billionaires Who Are Now Broke
Get the book you will like to read.
There are different ways to accomplish this:
- Check out the book from the library. If you don’t have a library membership, just walk into the library and ask for one.
- Be aware that if you’re trying to read a widely known book, you may end up weeks or months down the waiting list for a copy.
- Buy the book. Visit a bookstore or newsstand and purchase your own copy to keep for as long as you like. The advantage of this method is that with a little work, you can usually find even the hottest books and read them right away; the downside is that you have to pay money to buy the book.
- Since you’re paying, be sure to pick up the book and read a few pages of it in the store first, so you can tell if you’ll enjoy the author’s writing style when you crack it open at home.
- Borrow the book. Friends and relatives who recommend a book to you will often have their own copy and be glad to led it to you for as long as it takes you to finish.
- Be sure to take good care of books you have been loaned, and read them in a timely fashion so you don’t forget about them and leave them gathering dust on a shelf for the next year.
- Electronically purchase the book. With the advent of portable e-readers and smartphones over the last several years, electronically published editions of print books are becoming more and more common. It also means that the book can be taken with you anywhere where your phone/tablet/iPod is.
- The cost of purchasing a virtual book is often slightly less than the cost of purchasing a physical copy, so if you have a reader already, you might save a little cash. Don’t buy huge books if you know you won’t finish it. good types of apps for these are the Kindle apps or if you have a new version of an iProduct, iBooks.
- Like a paper-and-ink book, an electronic book is yours to keep once you’ve paid for it. The only downside to this is that, unlike paper books, you cannot pawn them off because the book is installed in your device.
- Remember that electronic editions are more difficult than regular books to bring with you on long vacations or camping trips.
READ ALSO: Top 8 Richest Kids Of Dubai
Inhabit the writing inside the book and make it a part of your own life by emphasizing your favorite parts. You will enjoy it much more than if you try to dryly deconstruct it or push through it in a linear fashion.
- Keep track of what you read. Write down page numbers or author names for items you particularly enjoy so that you can revisit them easily in the future.
- Use a pencil. If you own the book, consider lightly marking it with a pencil wherever you see a line or a word that grabs your attention.
- “If we know what specific interactions are occurring between caregiver and child and we can link that to language outcomes, then it wouldn’t just be telling parents, ‘Read a lot of books to your kids also,’” Gros-Louis adds. “That would definitely be important to tell them, but you could also identify specific behaviors to do during book reading.”
READ ALSO: Top 10 Most Expensive Yacht
2.Reading a Textbook
It is possible to read a textbook for fun, But Most people read a textbook because they need to get some sought of information from it, and textbooks are an excellent source of concentrated, clearly-organized information on many topics. To get the most from reading your textbook, have a notepad open beside you while you read so you can note down some key points.
- Set a pattern. Read one paragraph at a time, then stop and make a note about what that paragraph said. Try to put it into one or two quick phrases or sentences.
- At the end of your session, Review your results. you’ll have a personal copy of all the information you need. Read over it to ensure that everything makes sense to you.
READ ALSO: Top 10 Weirdest Mansions In The World
Reading by chapter.
In most cases, it isn’t a must to read a textbook straight through from start to finish, but it isn’t very useful to jump from section to section, either. Instead, every time you have to read even part of a chapter, if you haven’t done so already, plan to read that entire chapter.
- Understand more of what you read. Reading the whole chapter in order once will put all the information you need into a solid context, making it easier to understand and easier to remember.
- Take a victory lap. There’s no need to read back through the whole chapter once you’ve done it the first time. You can cherry-pick from the chapter as needed afterward.
READ ALSO: Top 10 Facts About Antarctica
Try To Keep up
When you’re reading a textbook, it’s probably for a class you’re trying to pass an exam or test. Textbooks are dense, slow reads, so the best way to tackle them is to start early and try to make steady progress every time you open one up.
- Make it a date. Schedule regular space at least a few days a week to read your textbook, and it’ll go by much more easily than if you tried to cram it all in right before each test.
I hope you find these methods helpful, please share with your friends.
EDITORS PICK :
We may have been denied justice, but we will never keep quiet – Nigerians mark three months anniversary of #LekkiMassacre
Today, 20th of January, 2021 is a sad day for many Nigerians as it marks 3 months since peaceful protesters demanding an end to police brutality were shot at, leaving many wounded and over a dozen killed.
The incident has left a sour taste in the mouths of victims, families and Nigerians who watched the horrid incident that took place on a Tuesday night at the Lekki toll gate, Lagos state.
According to videos shared on that night, military men were seen opening fire on the youths protesting under the #EndSARS banner and causing serious casualties. A case of which Nigerian Army authorities have denied on several occasions, stating that soldiers fired only blank bullets in the air.
Today marks exactly 3 months month since the shooting event of October 20, 2020 and Nigerians have taken to social in remembrance of those who lost their lives.
A look at BBNaija Erica’s comparison of Nigerian and Ghanaian Jollof (video)
• After tasting Ghanaian Jollof presented to her by supporters, Erica insists Nigerian Jollof is better.
• The 2020 BBNaija star earlier today traveled to Ghana from Dubai for a meet and greet with fans.
Former Big Brother Naija season 5 Lockdown reality television star cum actress, Erica Nlewedim has concluded on which among Nigerian and Ghanaian Jollof tastes better and in other word, sweeter.
You could recall that Erica made it to Ghana earlier today, Wednesday, January 20 after her successful trip to Dubai courtesy of Nigerian-based travel company, Travelbeta.
The reality star utilized the opportunity to meet with her Ghanaian supporters who graced the airport in the early hours of morning to welcome their Star Girl and Queen of Elites.
However, in a video posted via her Instagram story, Erica was spotted with some of her fans who hosted her in a lounge with lots of gifts presented to her.
Also, the Star Girl was served the popular African recipe, Jollof rice which she tasted and confirmed which among Nigerian and Ghanaian Jollof is better and probably tastes sweeter.
In her words, “It actually looks very pretty, but Nigerian Jollof is better. Most people already know. You already know Nigerian Jollof is better.
“Let me tell you. No matter how nice it tastes, I will still say it, Nigerian Jollof is better. Well, it’s actually nice, but Nigerian Jollof is better.
Watch video below.
BBNaija’s Lucy reacts after being accused of online begging (video)
• Rumours have made the rounds stating that all the gifts Lucy received from people were as a result of her begging for them.
• The Ex-Lockdown star stated that as long as she knows the God she serves, He will always provide for her and not through begging.
Big Brother Naija season 5 Lockdown reality television star and ex-housemate Lucy Edet Essien has taken out time to retort an accusation by people who claim she begs for gifts.
In a video the reality star posted via her Instagram story on Wednesday, January 20, she mentioned that a lot of people have been saying she begged for all the gifts she received since after BBNaija Lockdown show.
And this could be linked to a recent package the BBNaija star received from someone whom her colleague Kiddwaya gave her phone number. She has also received a cash from her female co-reality star Nengi who according to Lucy, gave her money totalling thousands of naira.
However, Lucy believes the secret to her gifts has been because she’s doing the right thing which is GIVING, hence, the bible verse, ‘give and you shall receive.’
The Cross Rivers State-native added that people should understand that whenever you know the God you serve, you don’t have to beg, because He will always provide for you.
“If you’re getting pissed that I’m getting gifts and all that, have you ever sat down to ask yourself ok, may be she’s actually doing something right, may be she’s actually giving to people.
“I don’t know how you should be expecting that I would come and announce, oh! I gave to this one, I gave to that. Not all of us have that mindset.
“God said that what you’re doing, your left hand must not know. If you give with the right, your left hand should not know. That’s how you get your own reward.
“I don’t see why I have to come and explain to anybody or people telling me, oh! me I’m going around begging.
“All I just have to say is that if you know the God you serve, basically, you don’t have to beg, God would always provide.”
Watch video below.
Opinion: “The Shippers Need To Rest” – Laycon Stylishly Shades Erica Fans in a recent freeystyle rap (Details)
The drama after big brother naija lockdown house seems not want to end soon, as exhousemates keep shading one another in any slightly opportunity given to them on social media.
This time, Laycon has stylishly shades Erica through his Jimmyjump off at Jimmyjat studio. The bbnaija winner and musician said shippers should need to rest, that he got a lot to brag of, but he just decided to stay humble.
However, no one need to tell before you know that he was referring to Erica fans and Erica, because Erica fans are always found of shipping Erica with Kidwaya and Laycon.
Recalled that Erica once said that Laycon doesn’t worth her and she also said that, she don’t want people to google her name and see Laycon with her name. That is why the young musician said that, he got a lot to brag about but he is humble.
In Laycon bars through Jymmyjat jumpoff, he said;
“So the shippers need to rest
There is a lot to brag about but I stay humble
Just let the music speak
And also let the number speak
Am not even at the top but they wanna cry
They keep saying my music won’t pop because of the show
Remember, the Music made me go into the show
I went on the show
Caught cruise on the show
Made money on the show
Made money off the show
Since I won the show
Let’s end the fucking show!”
Reactions As Ozo Pecked And Hugged Nengi In New Video (Watch)
Bbnaija stars, Ozo and Nengi are 2 people that fans want together, right from the days of the Big Brother Naija show, fans always wanted them to date.
Yesterday a video was released online, and it has sparked reactions from the fans of Ozo and Nengi already.
The video showed the moment Ozo gave Nengi a peck on her cheeks, and also hugged her, while she blushed.
This made their fans really happy about it, as it seems like Nengi an Ozo would be in a new show soon.
“There are some guys who can never cheat on their girlfriend, me and 6 others”- Prince says
Big brother naija reality star, Prince Nelson Enwerem, says he is very faithful to his girlfriend.
The reality TV star shared a post by a twitter influencer, telling his followers that there are some men in this world that can never cheat on their girlfriends, unfortunately its only him and six others.
The influencer wrote:
“I know some people will not believe this but there are some guys in this world who can never cheat on their girlfriends”
He retweeted the post with a caption:
Prince Nelson Enwerem is yet to publicly reveal his girlfriend, however, himself and colleague, Dorathy Bachor are very close.
“See how you use a 3month old car” Fans react as Dorathy shares picture of the state of her car. (Details)
Bbnaija star, Dorathy took to her social media page to share a Short clip of the state of her Benz Car which attracted whole lots of reactions from fans on social media.
Dorathy was given the Benz car by her fans on the 4th of November. So the car is just 2 month old and some weeks.
Seeing the state of the car it shows everything some fans were saying some weeks back is true.
Some fans that reacted to this are of the opinion how can somebody use car like this within that short period of time.
Is not everyone that deserves expensive gifts- A fan wrote
Another set of fans that reacted to this are of the opinion she is so careless and also not using the car well or that the car is not good truly.